So you have a bad tenant…
Problem Tenants – What are you going to do?
Western New York has a variety of duplex, triplex and Quad homes available to investors. With that brings the need for tenants and the potential for the need to evict a bad tenant. Eviction reasons, processes, periods, and participants vary from state to state. Below is a general overview of evicting a tenant. It is best to consult with an attorney in the event you are looking to evict a tenant.
Read Also: Tenant Screening in Western New York
Reasons to Evict a Tenant:
- Nonpayment of rent
- Violation of the rental agreement
- If the lease period has expired, most states don’t require a reason to evict but they do require proper notification.
Tenant Eviction Basics:
- The landlord must first serve a notice to correct the problem. The notice gives the tenant a specified number of days to pay the rent or comply with the rental agreement.
- If the tenant has not fixed the problem within the specified time, the landlord can begin litigation by filing an action in court.
- If the tenant does not file an answer with the court, the sheriff can post an eviction notice on the door. The sheriff can then remove the tenant if they do not respond to the eviction notice.
It is easy to end up on the losing side of an eviction if you don’t meticulously adhere to the rules. Property managers can help walk you through the process. They should be familiar with the laws in your area and know when to involve an attorney.
Selection of Multi-family Homes for Sale
Thinking of selling your Erie County home? Interested in finding out the current market value of your single family home, condo or investment property? Then call www.BestBuffaloHomes.com at (716) 650-0051 to discuss what is happening in today’s Western New York Real Estate Market. We would be happy to give you a personalized Comparative Market Analysis for your home or assist you to purchase a home. View additional WNY Market Area Statistics here.
What about one of these homes?
All Statistics are gathered from the Buffalo Niagara Association of REALTORS®. Properties found on this Web site may be listed with a brokerage other than the owner of this site and are displayed here via the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) system of this broker’s MLS. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither listing nor displaying broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints, and shall be held totally harmless. © 2014 Western New York Real Estate Information Services (WNYREIS), LLC. All rights reserved.