Preventing Costly Home Selling Mistakes
What are the three biggest mistakes Buffalo area Real Estate sellers make?
By not thinking objectively, important time is lost, money can be lost and so much more. To prevent this from happening to you, don’t make the three biggest mistakes when listing your Buffalo area home. When selling your home it should be treated as any other transaction.
It should be made without emotional involvement, but many times WNY Sellers use their hearts instead of their heads when making such an important decision as listing their home for sale. They forget all the things that they took into consideration for value when they were purchasing. They have have an emotional attachment to every improvement, quickly forgetting that those improvements were for their enjoyment. Not every buyer appreciated the same thing you do.
Read Also: Five Biggest Real Estate Myths
Selecting an Agent because they agree with your Listing Price or willing to charge you the lowest commission in the WNY area.
Just because you think your WNY home is worth a certain amount, does not mean you will get it. There are many factors that affect the listing price of your home.
When pricing your Western New York home, you need to take into consideration many factors including:
- Condition of your home
- Location! Location! Location! Exposure and Location!
- What the most recent sales were for your neighborhood, and more specifically the few streets around your WNY Home.
- The number of homes for sale, their condition
- The effect of For Sale By Owner Listings in the area Before you consider being your own Real Estate Agent, consider these questions!
- Absorption Rate of Homes for Sale in Western New York Real Estate Explained | What is Absorption Rate
- The days on the market that homes sold and that are currently on the market
As for the commission you pay for listing your home to a Realtor®, do you really want to work with someone that thinks so little of their service that they will take anything? Successful marketing of your WNY home takes a lot of effort. It starts with the listing price.
Do you really believe that you will get the best service by someone who cuts their commission and doesn’t know the Western New York market?
All WNY Realtors® are the same, just pick one.
You know that is not true. If it were, there wouldn’t be all types of companies out there providing great variety of services. What you need is an experienced Western New York Realtor® who knows their market, has a good marketing plan and a solid plan to get your WNY home sold.
Things to look for in a Buffalo area Realtor® are:
- An excellent web presence – Over 80% of buyers start their search via the Internet. You will want a Realtor® who can be found by these buyers. How do they rank for important terms in a Google Search?
- Buffalo Homes, Clarence Homes, Niagara Falls Homes
- Buffalo Real Estate or Buffalo Realtor
- How well do they explain what that presence means to you. There is a difference between a National and a local presence on the Internet.
- Explains the importance of staging of your home and preparing it for the greatest appeal to WNY Buyers.
- An organized plan to list and sell your home that they can present to you
- Willing to tell you thing that might be uncomfortable and you don’t want to really hear about the Greater Buffalo Real Estate Market.
- The Realtor’s company is also an important factor – Does the company have a huge presence in your area? How is their reputation?
- Is someone full of information to help both buyers and sellers
- Willing to give you a list of references
- Someone that you feel comfortable with and have confidence that they will do a good job for you.
Do you still believe that all Realtors® are the same?
Deciding to list with Friends or Family.
This is not good, not for the agent, buyer or seller. Relationships are torn apart from unrealistic expectations. There are hundreds of stories of listing with a friend or family member and great disappointments. It is best to list with someone that you do not have a personal relationship with. Your friend or family member can always get a referral fee.
Do you really want to ruin a good relationship over a Real Estate transaction?
Read Also: Choices too much for today’s home buyers?
Hope that this helps you make the right decisions when deciding to sell your Buffalo area home. If you are thinking of selling your home, please call us today at (716) 650-0051!
Thinking of selling your Erie County home? Interested in finding out the current market value of your single family home, condo or investment property? Then call Town & Country Partners at (716) 650-0051 to discuss what is happening in today’s Western New York Real Estate Market. We would be happy to give you a personalized Comparative Market Analysis for your home or assist you to purchase a home. View additional WNY Market Area Statistics here.
What about one of these homes?
All Statistics are gathered from the Buffalo Niagara Association of REALTORS®. Properties found on this Web site may be listed with a brokerage other than the owner of this site and are displayed here via the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) system of this broker’s MLS. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither listing nor displaying broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints, and shall be held totally harmless. © 2011 Western New York Real Estate Information Services (WNYREIS), LLC. All rights reserved.