They are small and most people do not know how to make them special so they do very basic things to decorate them. By not focusing on these small spaces many home owners affect the overall decorating plan of a home. If you have a small powder room you may want to do a few of these things to add an element of style to the small space:
- Add Light – Eliminate any dim lighting or dark shadows. Pot lights create a nice warm light especially in a small room.
- Chang the Vanity – If you’re thinking of getting a new vanity, try a smaller 18 inch deep version instead of the usual 21-inch deep model. Or better yet, use a pedestal sink, they hardly take up any room and give the illusion of more space.
- The Door – If you have a door that takes up half the room when it swings open, consider replacing it with a sliding pocket door.
- Color – When choosing your color scheme, try to select a variation of colors within the same family of shades. Keep your baseboards, door trim and moldings the same color as the walls.
- Eliminate Dark Colors – The darker the cabinets, the more they impose on a room; making a smaller room even smaller. Try re-painting existing cabinets the same color as the walls.
- Window covers should also be a similar color to the walls, creating a nice even flow throughout the room.
- Use the space on the inside of the door to hang a large mirror or put up a decorative hook for hanging towels or robes.
- Remove Clutter – Reduce clutter on the counters by storing your toiletries in containers on shelves or in the vanity.
- If you decide on wallpaper versus painting, try to avoid small, repetitive patterns. Geometrics and classic florals work well without appearing gaudy.
- A touch of elegance – Sometimes you can get away with using more expensive materials when decorating a small room. A nice stone for the floor or shower, granite countertop, high end tiles, or a stylish sink may be within your budget.
- Just as with any other room, choose a focal point such as a decorative vanity or ultra-modern sink and decorate around it.
- Create a wider window sill by adding on a ledge to hold accent pieces.
Thinking of selling your Western New York home? Interested in finding out the current market value of your single family home, condo or investment property? Then call Colleen Kulikowski at (716) 650-0051 to discuss what is happening in today’s Western New York Real Estate Market. We would be happy to give you a personalized Comparative Market Analysis for your home or assist you to purchase a home. View additional WNY Market Area Statistics here.All Statistics are gathered from the Buffalo Niagara Association of REALTORS®. Properties found on this Web site may be listed with a brokerage other than the owner of this site and are displayed here via the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) system of this broker’s MLS. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither listing nor displaying broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints, and shall be held totally harmless. © 2014 Western New York Real Estate Information Services (WNYREIS), LLC. All rights reserved.