Ensuring your home safety while you are on vacation!
The number of burglaries tends to increase as we move into the holiday season. We cannot deny the fact that these are the seasons when many Western New York homeowners take family vacations. Leaving their WNY homes unattended for a week or two at a time, and they become prime targets for the burglars. In fact, the latest data from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program shows that burglaries were accounted for an estimated $4.6 in lost property in 2008, with an average individual loss of $2,079.
We all know that a home and its property are a person’s greatest investments. Therefore, it is really important to make these valuable assets secured at all times.
Here are some useful tips for protecting your WNY home while you are on a vacation.
- Consider telling your trusted neighbors about your travel plans and ask them to keep an eye on your home.
- Never announce your travel plans on social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter.
- Authorize someone to pick up mail and newspaper for you or to stop those deliveries during the vacation trip. A pile of papers on the front porch is an obvious sign that someone is not home.
- It is a great idea to set outside lights to stays on at night and put timers on indoor lighting to go on and off at random intervals.
- Don’t hide a spare key outside your WNY home. Leave it with a trusted neighbor if it needs to be left somewhere.
- Overgrown hedges and bushes should be trim because they can be hiding spots for burglars.
- Don’t just lock the doors, make sure also that all windows are closed and locked.
Thinking of selling your Erie County home? Interested in finding out the current market value of your single family home, condo or investment property? Then call www.BestBuffaloHomes.com at (716) 650-0051 to discuss what is happening in today’s Western New York Real Estate Market. We would be happy to give you a personalized Comparative Market Analysis for your home or assist you to purchase a home. View additional WNY Market Area Statistics here.
What about one of these homes?
All Statistics are gathered from the Buffalo Niagara Association of REALTORS®. Properties found on this Web site may be listed with a brokerage other than the owner of this site and are displayed here via the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) system of this broker’s MLS. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither listing nor displaying broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints, and shall be held totally harmless. © 2014 Western New York Real Estate Information Services (WNYREIS), LLC. All rights reserved.