I am often asked why a home has not sold by worried sellers. Many times they it is the smallest details that ensure a successful sale of your home. The largest driving factor of your home selling quickly is pricing, and then condition. Many times sellers forget that the condition of their home affects the listing price.
Suggestions To Help Your Buffalo Home Sell Faster….
Get Ready …Start Outside!
- Too many cars parked in front?
- Is the driveway and walkways clear of snow and ice?
- During the summer – is the lawn trimmed and are spots in need of re-seeding.
- Get landscaping in top shape. Remove all refuse, leaves or clutter from yards, sidewalks, porches and decks. Plant and have flowers.
- Fencing straight? Need stain or paint. Does any part of the house, trim, decks, gates, and front door need painted?
- Remember, when a buyer comes to look at your house, the first thing he sees is your front door.
- Wash screens and windows outside and buy things that will enhance the house for showing that you can take with you…
- A new welcome mat, big potted plants for inside, pots of geraniums for the patio or deck.
Minor Repairs Make Sense…..
- Get all those minor flaws fixed since they detract from your homes value.
- Don’t make major changes, except for new carpeting and new paint (in a neutral color).
- Dripping faucets lead buyers to question the plumbing system.
- Loose doorknobs, sticking drawers or doors?
- Fix all caulking, especially in the bathrooms.
- In general, if it’s busted…fix it!
Read Also: Open Houses don’t sell houses!
Freshen Up The Inside…
- A clean, fresh smelling homes will sell faster!
- Badly faded walls or worn woodwork reduce appeal…selective painting will help to add a fresh look.
- Dress up windows in freshly laundered curtains. Colorful curtains in harmony with countertops & floors add warmth to kitchens, baths, etc.
- Check all light bulbs and detail all light fixtures.
- Oven ranges and sink clear and neat?
- Take things out of closets & cabinets that are not essential to your life and pack them away.
- Remove unnecessary articles, which have accumulated in basements/utility & storage areas.
- Clear stairway and hallways to open them up.
- Too much furniture??? Put it in the basement/garage or better yet…store or sell it.
- Brighten dull basement & storage areas by painting the walls & using high watt bulbs.
- Bathrooms that sparkle, sell homes & the opposite is true…dirty baths can turn off a buyer.
- New towels are an excellent investment.
- Does the interior need painted? $100 worth of paint may balance $500.00 in a price cut. Make rooms sparkle.
- Keep all steps clear of hazards.
- Have all light sockets filled with bulbs. Illumination is like a welcome sign.
- Wash dishes, put away clothes, straighten up newspapers, etc.
- Does the carpet need cleaning or replacing?
- Are all appliances clean and in good working order in your home?
- Remove an ornate item that a buyer may want as part of the house that you intend to keep, for example a special chandelier.
Ok, It’s Show Time…
- Turn off the television. It is very difficult for an agent to keep the attention of a prospect focused on your home when an interesting special is on the tube competing for their attention.
- Turn on the stereo. Tune in your best stereo station to a soft “easy listening” station, and turn the volume down low. Most buyers will imagine themselves living in a peaceful, serene environment.
- Let the sun shine in! Open all window shades, drapes and curtains.
- Build a fire…If you have enough notice.
- Open windows if it is a nice day, let the breeze come through the home.
- Remember the Golden Rule…Treat your prospective buyer the way you would like to be treated. Most feel they are imposing on you when looking at your home. It is natural for them to want to get out as soon as possible.
- Make them feel welcome invite them to take their time looking and tell them you’ll be leaving to run errands.
- Pets underfoot? Keep them out of the way, preferably out of the house.
- Check the temperature…toasty warm in the winter, please.
- Turn on every light in the house just before leaving the house. Turn on all lights including closet lights and special heat lamps in the bathrooms.
- This makes the house seem bright and cheery.
Thinking of selling your Erie County home? Interested in finding out the current market value of your single family home, condo or investment property? Then call www.BestBuffaloHomes.com at (716) 650-0051 to discuss what is happening in today’s Western New York Real Estate Market. We would be happy to give you a personalized Comparative Market Analysis for your home or assist you to purchase a home. View additional WNY Market Area Statistics here.
What about one of these homes?
PLACEHOLDERAll Statistics are gathered from the Buffalo Niagara Association of REALTORS®. Properties found on this Web site may be listed with a brokerage other than the owner of this site and are displayed here via the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) system of this broker’s MLS. All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither listing nor displaying broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints, and shall be held totally harmless. © 2014 Western New York Real Estate Information Services (WNYREIS), LLC. All rights reserved.