Eco-Friendly Western New York
Interesting Green Facts about Western New York:
- Buffalo NY is the sunshine capital of the Northeast in the summer with 67% of sun filled days during the June – August time period!Â And you thought Buffalo was only famous for our snow!Â
- The University of Buffalo is the largest purchaser of Wind Power in New York State.
- The Buffalo Sabres are dedicated to the sustainability of the environment in Western New York and Southern Ontario through the “Blue & Gold Make Green Initiative”. The organization is committed to creating programming to help our fans reduce their environmental footprint and at the same time, educate Sabres fans on conservation issues, teaching fans how to be greener, and directing them to additional resources where they can learn more about environmental issues.
Alternative Energy Options
Let’s face it.Â There is a big focus on alternative energy these days around the country.Â It is the one thing that everyone wants to learn and be part of.Â Western New Yorkers (and our friends in Ontario Canada) have been taking advantage of alternative energy long before it was even a concept or trendy.Â
Hydro Electric power
- Niagara Falls is one of the great natural wonders of the world. Â And Niagara Falls also helps generate some of the least expensive electricity anywhere.
- In 2007 the Niagara Power Project celebrated its 50th year in operation.Â
- Niagara Falls is a national leader in promoting energy efficiency and the development of clean energy technologies and electric vehicles.
- In fact, New York Power Authority is now incorporating “sustainability” into all of its day-to-day activities in order to make our facilities operate in the healthiest, most environmentally sound manner possible.
- Commitment to the environment reflects this philosophy that has been a Power Authority tradition since our earliest days
Read Also:Â How Niagara was harnessed
Ethanol Production in Western New York
- Alternative fuels are a hot topic as gasoline reaches $3.30 a gallon and rising.Â In Medina is a new Ethanol plant that is producing this alternative fuel.
- Western New York Energy, LLC was founded in 2004 and is committed exclusively to the operation of its 50 million gallon per year fuel grade ethanol plant in Medina, New York.
- For more information visit their website.
Read Also:Â Slide Show of Western New York Energy
Reclaiming our Communities
I may be dating myself, but Love Canal was probably the most well know environmental disaster in this country. Â Love Canal was originally meant to be a dream community, who knew of the nightmare that lurked.Â Â In 1978 Love Canal came to the public awareness with 221 families having been moved from the area.Â Â Officially it covered 36 square blocks in Niagara Falls and President Jimmy Carter declared it a federal emergency.
Love Canal brought us awareness to the toxic dumping and the negative effects on the enviroment.Â Today the clean up process at Love Canal is a model for many other communities facing the same situation.Â It brought greater awareness to our environment and how we can affect it both positively and negatively.Â
Read Also:Â Lois Gibbs Videos of the Love Canal
Related Love Canal Links
Map of Love Canal Area
What to do with all the vacant building?
Yes we have vacant buildings in Western New York and the housing court is going after the owners.Â Some of these homes have fallen into such disrepair; the only thing to do is demolish them.Â Why does this make the list of Green things in Western New York?Â The Organization Buffalo ReUse is groundbreaking that they take and recycle as much of the material of the buildings that they take down.Â Â They offer a community-minded alternative to demolition.
Read Also:Â What is deconstruction?
Buffalo Niagara’s Alternative to Home Demolition